Let’s talk about Belize…
Have you ever heard of Belize? Most people at least know of British Honduras, but what most people do NOT know is that they are the same country. Belize was part of Great Britain and known as British Honduras until they gained their independence in 1981, well after it had established itself as a premier tourist destination.
Interesting facts about Belize
- They are blessed to have the 2nd largest barrier reef system in the world.
- It’s the only country in Central America where English is the first language.
- One of the most popular dive sites in the world.
- Belize has a population of fewer than 400 thousand citizens and is the least densely populated country in Central America.
- The Belize flag is the only flag that has a picture of people on the flag. There are a couple territories but no other countries.
The Belize flag is a beautiful royal blue, with a white disc at the center. The disc contains the nation coat of arms held by a mestizo and a man of African descent. The flag is bordered at top and bottom by two red stripes.
The colors on the flag are respectively those of the country’s national parties, the People’s United Party (PUP) and United Democratic Party (UDP).
The two red stripes at the top and bottom were added to the original design when Belize became an independent state. The coat of arms was granted in 1907. Red stripes were added to denote the color of the opposition party. The 50 leaves recall 1950, the year PUP came to power.
Belize is also one of the most popular retirement destinations for Canadians and Americans. Tourism is their number one import so be careful if you go because you may never want to come back.