A good Independence Day celebration isn’t complete without some red, white and blue delectable treats.
The Fourth of July is a time where Americans come together to celebrate the country’s declaration of independence. The Declaration of Independence set the 13 colonies on the road to freedom as a sovereign nation. As you begin to prepare for your Fourth of July traditions and celebrations, don’t forget to stop to take a minute to think about what our country has been through in the last 237 years and remember why we have the day to celebrate our country.
As you put together activities, food and beverages for your Independence Day celebration, try adding one of the below delectable Fourth of July recipes as a new menu item for your guests to choose from.
Patriotic American Flag Cake – compliments of Elissa, 17 and Baking
White cake – boxed cake batter or DIY from a homemade recipe (good homemade recipe here)
Cream Cheese Frosting
16 oz cream cheese
10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
4 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Prepare the white cake as instructed on the box (or by recipe); however, you will have to bake three separate cakes in circular pans – one with red food coloring, one with blue food coloring and the other can be left as is.
- While the cakes bake, make the cream cheese frosting – combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla, then gradually stir in the powdered sugar
- Once the cakes have cooled, cut the red and white sections into horizontal layers
- Stack the blue layer, one of the white layer and one of the red layers on top of each other, using frosting as “glue” – these will comprise the top 3/5 of the cake; set aside the remaining white and red layers of cake to be used as the base of the cake
- Once you have the three layers stacked, cut a large circle through the three layers (hint: use a bowl as a guide)
- Discard (read: snack on) the inner circle of blue and the outer rings of the red and white
- Assembling the cake with frosting, stack the two bottom layers together – white uncut layer first, then the red uncut layer
- Place the blue ring on the bottom two layers next, continuing to use frosting as “glue” – then place the white and red circular cutouts in the center of the blue layer, finishing the cake by frosting the entire outside
While the cake looks completely white on the outside, this American flag treat will pleasantly surprise all of your guests!
What better way to cool off from a hot July summer day than with a healthy, fruit smoothie? Make the smoothie festive for the Fourth of July using these ingredients:
½ c orange juice
6 oz yogurt – Greek yogurt (or otherwise, if you prefer)
2 cups of frozen cherries, strawberries and blueberries (note: if you prefer to use fresh fruit, freeze the fruit for a couple hours so the smoothie will have some consistency)
Optional – ice
Combine the juice, fruit and yogurt in a blender until its smooth. Pour in a cup and enjoy!
These Independence Day recipes are sure to please any crowd. Happy Fourth of July from CVS Flags!