The San Francisco 49ers are an NFL football team located in San Francisco, California. They are one of the NFL’s oldest franchises, being established in 1946. The 49ers currently play in the NFC West with the Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams. The team is owned by Jed York and their official team colors are red, gold and white.
The San Francisco 49ers are among the best teams in the history of the NFL. The 49ers have the second most super bowl wins among all teams with 5, only behind the Pittsburgh Steelers who have 6. They have also appeared in the playoffs a total of 26 times, the most recent being in 2013. With all that success, they have had some of the most famous players in NFL history (see below). However, they have experienced one of the worst fallouts in recent history. A compilation of injuries, arrests, roster and coaching changes have derailed this team in the first half of the 2015 calendar year. How will the team fare in the 2015 season?
Prior to the 2014 season, the San Francisco 49ers played their home games at Candlestick Park for 43 seasons. In need of an upgrade, the team moved into the brand new Levi’s Stadium in 2014. Levis Stadium is a state of the art facility that seats around 68,000 fans for football games. Levi’s stadium was also selected to host Super Bowl 50 for the 2015/16 season, which is huge for the team and the city of San Francisco.
Famous Members of the 49ers
- Joe Montana – Hall of Fame Quarterback
- Jerry Rice – Hall of Fame Wide Receiver
- Bill Walsh – former coach
- Ronnie Lott – Hall of Fame Defensive Back
- Steve Young – Hall of Fame Quarterback
- Terrell Owens – also famous for his time playing with the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles.
- Dion Sanders – Hall of Fame Defensive Back who is most famous for his time playing with the Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys.