The Pittsburgh city flag is a very meaningful city flag that embodies the city that it represents. The Pittsburgh city flag design displays three vertical stripes, two black stripes on the outside and a yellow stripe down the center. The Pittsburgh seal and coat of arms is located at the center of the yellow stripe. The seal (shown below) displays a phrase that translates to “By the Favour of the Heavens”. The coat of arms is represented in the center with a fortress that represents the city itself.
About the city of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is the second largest city in the state of Pennsylvania with an estimated population of about 300,000. The city is formed at the base of the Ohio River, which splits into two separate rivers – the Alleghany and Monongahela. It is known as the “Steel City” because of its historical dominance in the steel industry. Pittsburgh is a very blue collar city that takes a hard working approach to everything it does. It is also a city that loves its sports with professional teams in three of the four major sports. The most popular team, the Pittsburgh Steelers has won the most Super Bowls among all NFL teams.
Pittsburgh Fun Facts
- The first movie theater in the world was opened here in 1905 – it was called the Nickelodeon.
- Pittsburgh has been featured in numerous movies, most famously “The Dark Knight Rises” and “Silence of the Lambs”.
- Various celebrities live in the Pittsburgh area including; Christina Aguilera, Demi Moore and Michael Keaton.
- Pittsburghese is the name of the casual slang language used by locals. The language simply blends and modifies commonly used words into catchy phrases.
- The smiley face emoticon was invented here by a local university professor.
- The city has the most bridges in the world (446), even more than Venice, Italy.
- All three professional sports teams use the same black and gold colors that are represented on the Pittsburgh city flag.